One of the more recent episodes from the guys over at This Week in Photography had them wrapping up their coverage of PMA, where they talked tech about all the latest cameras to come out from the various vendors. Canon was noticeably absent from the show, but it didn’t detract from an interesting comment I think Ron Brinkmann said where he wished he could pull all his favorite features from each of the cameras and basically make his own.
To me, the idea screamed “blog post”! So, I decided to go for it. I went through every major SLR on the market today and cherry-picked my favorite features from each camera. It took a while (there’s a lot out there), but I kept on plugging at it for a few days. Finally, I’ve completed the list, and here’s my “perfect camera” wish list:
- Full Frame Sensor – It seems the market is trending this way, and while the added zoom on a crop sensor can be nice, I’d love to see my 10-22 on a full frame body!
- EF-S support – This is Canon-specific, but because of my 10-22 and 18-55, I would really love to get that super wide angle on a full frame without vignetting or fisheye distortion…I know, the impossible dream, but hey, it’s not like such a camera will ever really exist, so I may as well dream, right?
- Low Light Performance – Think Nikon here – they’re beating the pants off pretty much everyone in the market with their low light sensitivity and handling.
- ISO handling – the fact that you can shoot at ISO 102400 is pretty amazing, but the noise is crazy. Sure, I’ll take the high ISO, but at least let me make decent prints from it. This kind of ties into the low light performance, but since it’s a separate spec, why not…
- Multi-card compatibility – Lately more cameras are supporting the CF and the SD format cards, but mine currently does not support the latter, so, it’s on my list!
That’s it? Of course not, but do you really want me to list ALL the features I want to see in my dream camera in ONE SUPER LONG POST? Of course not! I wouldn’t want to read that either, no matter who wrote it! So, I’m saving the other segments for another day soon (hint, hint, hint)! I’m not even sure this is my “Top Five”, but it could be close. I dunno, is it worth it doing a “top five” features list? Would you? Also consider this: what is your dream camera? What are the must have features for you? How much would you pay to have them all under one hood? I know it’d be a pretty penny, but think about how useful and how long it would last you…! Sound off in the comments with your favorite features!
Don’t forget, the March Flickr Giveaway is underway where you can win a Cheetah Stand, so make sure you enter your favorite WILD pic today!